The Seaton Sagas

The Seaton Sagas

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Living in a War Zone--Valencia part 2

So much is going on here....it is normally not this crazy from what my cousin says, but right now, there is constant booms and fireworks, etc. We are here during Las Fallas...so that is why. It is really fun though. Las Fallas is a festival of Fire...basically, the entire city of Valencia makes a Fallas for their little area of town. A Fallas is a Statue Type thing that is wood in the middle and then styrofoam on the outside, but made to look like a float/statue type thing. Then on the last night, the burn them all...it is like the whole city is on fire. Here is our Fallas and another before the burn.












I have to say that I had a super amazing birthday though...very eventful on Saturday....not sure it could be more exciting. I started out the day and Chels had given me birthday croisants...they had chocolate in the middle with a candle to wish on. ;) Here is a pic of my birthday breakfast.

Then we toured Valencia. We went to another Muscleta (lots of really loud fireworks and booms) where I got in a shoving fight with a 14 year boy on a bike....you see...Spanish Teens here have no respect for anyone or any thing...he kept rolling over my toe on purpose and so....finally I got so peaved off that I shoved him. :) Ahh....the nerve. Then...we toured the city for about 8 hours...on foot...I loved it. :) One thing that is so funny and weird here is that spanish men and women make out like crazy.... I mean tongue and all right in front of everyone...it is so awkward and kind of gross in public....

Then we came home nad the German girls that we are here with (Chels roomies) made me Birthday Schnitzel---so great...also with birthday candles.

We topped off the night with the most amazing fireworks I have seen. 20 minutes long...Then...as I thought the night was over, it was not...we went to an outside Dancing Disco Tech, until 4:30 in the morning...what.....these people are crazy and never sleep....but it was really fun. I think that my body tells me I am too old for that....but....I guess, I will make the most of it. :)

Sunday, was a little more relaxing for sure. :) I needed that. We slept till about 11:30 our time, but considering we went to bed at 5:30 am, it was good.we then ventured into the suburbs of Valencia to an amazing park and had a BBQ/picnic.It was so nice.Then we just hung out there all day long....laid in the sun, played 4 square for about 3 hours with a bunch of Germans (Chelsea's roomates friends), talked, etc. It was great and relaxing. Then we came back and I was able to have some Jesus time, and then....took a nap at 9:30 pm...woke up...ate dinner (that is when they do it here....weird huh?Then of course a parade at 12:30 am and fireworks again at 1 am...then.....tea and talking....and bedtime at around 4 am....well at least when I come home, I will be on about the same schedule...since that is 10 pm Arkansas time currently.

Monday the 17th (yes I forgot to wear green) was a super eventful one as well. We went to the City of Arts and Sciences today....(sounds boring) but it is really amazing. Here are some outside pics of it.


IT had a huge aquariam, we watched a dolphin show, and then went to an IMAX film. It got pretty cold though, so that stunk and I was in shorts....but...hey...what can you do? Then we came back to the flat...relaxed until about 10 pm and then and ate some Paella....so so good. I loved it. We watched a parade and watched them put flowers on the Virgin Mary here (part of their celebration of Easter) Here is the Virgin with Flowers.


Then we went to a Jazz Bar for some live music...it was funny because most of the people there were exchange students who spoke English and all the songs were American Rock Songs, so that was a nice part of home. It was fun, but, my feet were about to kill me..not from my shoes, just from being on them for so long....ahh....it was crazy. Oh...and the German guy I was talking to had not a clue what a summer camp was...he kept thinking I taught Summer School for my job...anyways.....We went home at about 3:45 am...

Today (Tuesday the 18th), we are heading to the Beach..I am excited to read, relax, and sleep some....yeah for the beach.

I will say, that even though it is great here, I miss the states, and some of its comforts for sure....being away from Darrick this long is a challenge and also being away from my precious little Dog Lily as well....she is not so little anymore...I need to add her to this blog. :)

Alright...off to the beach.... Leslie

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Sounds like you are having a great time! Say hello to Europe for me! Maybe I'll get there one day.

Erica said...

OH my goodness!!!! I can't even tell you how much I would love to be there right now (I realize that would cut out the fam time...) This trip sounds amazing. I love how Spainish culture (and all the latinamerican countries...) find something to celebrate, oh, almost every time of year. I'm sure Easter will be awesome, too.

Umm..dancing till 4?...I'm not even going to start on that. :) I think you know how I feel. Hopefully you've started to embrace the no ice thing...and the lovely bathrooms :) wow. I can't wait to hear all about this trip.

I'm so excited for you right now...I know you miss Darrick, but what a blessing to be there.